Responsible and ecological matters are important to us. We also like to represent these values to our customers. Year 2019 we had a questionnaire on our website where we asked if the ecology of the accommodation provider has influence on which one you choose. Over three out of four (76,8 %) of 734 people answered yes.
During the years we have managed to decrease our energy consumption and total amount of waste. Thanks to our new building maintenance technology the amount of district heating consumption has decreased too. We are on a right track and we try to be even more ecological in the future.
For us ecological means 100% renewable wind energy, using district heating, waste separation and recycling. Our customer toilets have automatic faucets, toilet seats have 2 flush options and instead of paper tissues we use hand dryers. Showers facilities have motion activated showers. All our toilet and shower facilities as well as our sauna facilities have lighting that works according to need. Our customer kitchen does not have disposable dishes and cutlery. Cooking plates work with timer. Hot Drink vending machine in our lobby provides Fairtrade certified drinks. Our office recycles papers, cardboard, batteries, glass, metal, fluorescent lamps and broken electronic devices. Thanks to recycling we will produce less waste. Waste that is not recyclable is converted into energy by burning by waste management. Since 2015 we have provided our customers a possibility to recycle in the room and also in our Recycling Center. There are recycling bins for bio waste, batteries, glass, metal, cardboard and paper.
We have pursued to affect our associates so that they would also work in more ecological manner.
Eurohostel is a non-smoking property.
On September 2019 our hostel was given an international HI-Q&S Quality and Sustainability Certificate by Hostelling International.
We think green also in these areas
- We aspire to use only eco-labelled paper products
- We aspire to use only fluorescent lamps with 20 000 hours of lifetime
- Over 97 % of lamps we use are energy level A or better
- Over 20 % of the lamps are timer or sensor controlled
- We take in Earth Hour annually
- Room key cards are made of paper
- We support recycling by donating non-reclaimed lost & found items to flea markets
- We donate 10 % of our Evening Sauna sales to environmentalism
- We offer our clients a possibility to compensate the carbon emissions of their trip and we forward the donations to protect nature areas
Make your stay more ecological
- Shut the lights and electrical appliances when you leave the room
- Take shorter showers to save water and energy
- Use our heat isolating curtains to moderate the room temperature
- Open the window only for quick ventilation
- Use the stairs instead of elevator
- Drink tap water instead of bottled water
- Choose Fairtrade certified products whenever possible
- Use public transportation or hire a bicycle or walk to get to know the city
Results of our Environmental Program 2021 compared to year 2020
- Total amount of waste increased 17,5 %
- Electricity consumption increased 8,7 %
- District heating consumption increased 30,6 %
- Water consumption increased 0,5 %
- The annual consumption figures increased across the board mainly because the hostel was open the whole year 2021 compared to year 2020 when it was closed for 3 months due to COVID-19 pandemic
- When last year figures are compared to the consumption figures 2018 we have gained a lot of positive progress (waste -17 %, electricity -20 %, district heating -10 % and water -49 %).
- We donated 10 % of our Evening Sauna sales in year 2021 for Clean Baltic Sea Project, that removed about 2 tons of seaweed from Baltic Sea thanks to our donation!
- We provide our customers a possibility to compensate their carbon dioxide emissions of their accommodation on the Booking Engine on our website. The funds will be directed to Finnish Natural Heritage Foundation to acquire and protect nature areas. The funds donated early 2022 makes it possible to protect 428 square meters old-growth forest.
Sustainable Travel Finland
Visit Finland has developed the Sustainable Travel Finland program to help the tourism industry in Finland to adopt sustainable practices. The program is designed for Finnish tourism companies and destinations to develop more sustainable practices.
The participants have undergone the STF program and fulfilled the criteria to get the Sustainable Travel Finland label. Eurohostel was among one of the first companies to get this label in year 2020 and is so far the only hostel with this label.